The court has granted the request of Oleksandr Sienkevych to immediately put into effect the decision that found the decision to dismiss him from the post of mayor illegitimate.
Thus, Sienkevych can now return to his duties as the mayor. The corresponding decision was announced in the Central District Court of Mykolayiv on April 2. As it was previously reported, on March 16 the court declared illegal the decision of the session of the Mykolayiv city council to remove Sienkevych from fulfilling the duties of mayor. However, this decision did not reinstate him in his position, and, according to the law, the city council still had 30 days to appeal against this decision.
Therefore, Oleksandr Sienkevych filed an application with a request to immediately enact the court decision. The court granted this request. The mayor himself has said that he will return to his work as soon as he leaves the courtroom. “The city does not need political games; it needs solutions to real problems,” he says.
We shall recall, on October 5, during an extraordinary session of the Mykolayiv city council, 42 deputies from the Petro Poroshenko Bloc, the Opposition bloc, and “Nash Kray” voted for the early termination of the authority of the mayor Oleksandr Sienkevych. This decision was preceded by several months of pressure – both from local politicians who demanded to appoint certain people for certain positions in the executive committee and the central government. Two times the mayor received a protocol on suspicion of corruption – for voting despite an alleged presence of a conflict of interest.